An Art Therapy Group for Adults Seeking Positive Coping Tools for Stress and Anxiety
This group is ongoing, in-person and held twice a month. Each session runs for 2.5 hours and space is limited.
People who participate in this group do not have to be artistic or have skills in artmaking. Art therapy is simply a tool for expression.
Participants are screened to determine if they are group-ready. The group is limited to adults, who want to participate in art therapy using creative means for stress management and anxiety support.
Maggie the Queen, by Maggie, Art Therapy Guelph participant
This group is for adults who want to:
- Be part of a positive and supportive art therapy group.
- Express themselves creatively with others.
- Have a supportive small group to share with during these stressful times.
- Discover positive coping tools for stress and anxiety.
- Enhance your expression and creativity.
- Process their lived experiences and emotions.
- Gain tools to develop self-compassion and self-esteem.
- Participate in self-exploration and discovery.
- Desire a unique approach to stress management.
- Work with a different more creative approach to therapy.
Details of the sessions
Each session is 2.5 hours long. During this time, you will be in the company of 5 other participants and me, Heather Caruso, Registered Psychotherapist and Art Therapist. All of the art supplies are supplied.
We follow government COVID guidelines.
At the beginning of each session, we do an introduction and check-in to see how people are feeling and how things sat from the week before.
During the session, I may make suggestions for certain art therapy exercises or ask people to express themselves freely using art materials.
We take about 45 minutes or so to create our artwork. Once we finish our creation, each person has an opportunity to talk about their art and what it means to them. Then I ask clarifying questions and offer my observations as an art therapist. The group has a chance to ask questions and share their observations about the art.
This group is ongoing. Participants sign up for four group sessions in a row.
The fee for four sessions is $240.00. If you have coverage for a registered psychotherapist, you can claim these sessions through your insurance plan.
Upcoming tentative dates are: March 11th, Mar 25th, April 15th and May 6th 2022. 3pm until 5:30pm.