About Group Art Therapy
Art therapy has deep roots in modern psychotherapy dating as far back as the '50s. Many famous psychologists have stated that artmaking is an amazing way to express oneself and that it's good for mental health and our soul. Carl Jung, Abraham Maslow and Carl Rogers all promoted art-making in their writings but the clever psychotherapist, Margaret Naumberg was the grandmother of art therapy. Way to rock Grandma Naumberg!
Art Therapy Guelph hosts a few different art therapy groups. Some groups are held online or in person, please check the group you are interested in. Each group has between 6 to 8 participants, so groups are limited in space.
For in-person groups Art Therapy Guelph follows government COVID guidelines.
Art Therapy Guelph groups are not open. That means all the people are the same for the four sessions and people don't start and stop at different times. Due to the nature of art therapy, these group sessions are limited in space and clients who sign up commit to participating in all four group sessions. This ensures group cohesion and commitment to therapy.
The fee for four group sessions is $240.00. If you have coverage for a registered psychotherapist, you will be able to submit your receipt for reimbursement as your insurance plan allows.
What is required for groups?
We do both in person and online groups. If it is online, you need a tablet, phone or computer with a camera and speakers enabled. They need a stable internet connection. You also require a private, quiet area with a workspace that allows for easy access to your art supplies.
Art supplies should be pencils, pencil crayons, markers, acrylic or watercolour paints and brushes, air dry clay and or play dough, magazines, glue and scissors (for collage) and pastels. An art journal, 9 x 12 inches with thick paper is useful, however paper can be larger up to 22 x 28 inches.
About the Facilitator, Heather Caruso
The facilitator is an artist, art therapist and registered psychotherapist. For more information, click here.
Missed sessions, inclement weather and refund policy
If there is inclement weather when buses are not running, group sessions may be held online or rescheduled. The exercise can be shared on request if one participant cannot attend the group. Art Therapy Guelph does not offer individual make-up sessions or refunds on missed art therapy sessions or groups. However, some of our online groups will have a video platform where you can access the lesson should you miss one. Due to privacy, group discussions are not shared. If someone cannot make it to one of their prepaid group sessions they signed up for, they will be given a receipt that says not attended. This is not a valid receipt for insurance reimbursement.
Online Art Therapy Group For Adult Women
Supporting Women's Mental Health Using Art Therapy.
This group starts on Friday Feb 16th 2024 and runs four Fridays in a row from 9-11.30am.
- Who want to be part of a supportive online group of mature women
- Would like to use art materials to express themselves and support their mental health
- Have a stable internet connection, private room and art supplies
- This group would be suited to people with stress, anxiety, mild depression, grief or those who want to work through big transitions, negative experiences or childhood.
- Space is limited to six participants, so reach out now
- Arrange a get acquainted chat to see if it is a good fit.
- Once you determine it is a good fit, prepay for your spot to reserve it.
Women's Winter Self Care and Stress Management Art Therapy Group (In Person)
A Place for Mature Women to De-Stress, Unite and Create
This group runs for four weeks in a row, on Tuesdays from 7 pm until 9:30pm.
Next session starts on Tuesday Mar 5th and ends on Mar 26 2024, from 6pm until 8:30pm.
It will be held in person, at Art Therapy Guelph. Parking on site. Wheelchair ramp.
This group is for mature women, not kids or teens.
This group is for those who want:
• To have a safe space to unwind.
• To have a creative outlet.
• A sanctuary for those who want an outlet for stress from home and work life.
• A place to tend to your mind, body and spirit.
•To engage in healthy self-care.
• To be connected to a creative, supportive and positive circle of women.
•To develop resources for stress relief.
-Held in person at Art Therapy Guelph, in a peaceful art therapy studio
Interested in This Group, Want More Info? Contact Us Below
Crone Art Therapy Group (Online)
Exploring the Wise Mother or Crone Archetype through Art Therapy
A Group for Mature Women. Supportive. Empowering. Unique.
This group is for mature women who want to:
- Explore the feminine psyche through art therapy.
- Embrace the wise woman and crone archetype.
- Tap into divine feminine wisdom.
- Create art around cultivating an authentic life that reflects your personal values.
- Want to move forward in a wholehearted way.
- Support their mental health during menopause with art therapy.
- Want to be part of a supportive group of women who create soulful artwork each week.
Details of the four weeks:
- Week one, tapping into your sacred feminine and collective feminine wisdom through art therapy. Exploring Carl Jung's archetype of the crone and wise mother and what its meaning is to us and humanity.
- Week two, reflect on your lived experiences and what built your unique soulful self and values. Using art-making to express your wise foundation, roots and the experiences that shaped you.
- Week three, creating art around leaning into your strengths, values, beliefs and authenticity. This week, using a self-compassion lens, we honour ourselves in our artmaking.
- Week four, artmaking around cultivating a life that embraces your wise mother archetype and speaks to your truth. Using art, we tap into unique ways to live life in a wholehearted life that reflects your personal values, innate worth and feminine power.
Interested in This Group, Want More Info? Contact Us Below