About Group Art Therapy
Art Therapy Guelph hosts a few different art therapy groups. During COVID our groups are held online using the Zoom app. Each group has between 6 to 8 participants, so groups are limited in space. The fee for four group sessions is $240.00.
Art therapy has deep roots in modern psychotherapy dating as far back as the '50s. Many famous psychologists have stated that artmaking is an amazing way to express oneself and that it's good for mental health and our soul. Carl Jung, Abraham Maslow and Carl Rogers all promoted art-making in their writings but the clever psychotherapist, Margaret Naumberg was the grandmother of art therapy. Way to rock Grandma Naumberg!
What is required for groups?
Participants should have a tablet, phone or computer with a camera and speakers enabled. They need a stable internet connection with the Zoom app. They need a private, quiet area with a workspace that allows for easy access to their art supplies.
Art supplies should be pencils, pencil crayons, markers, acrylic or watercolour paints and brushes, air dry clay and or play dough, magazines, glue and scissors (for collage) and pastels. An art journal, 9 x 12 inches with thick paper is useful, however paper can be larger up to 22 x 28 inches.
We have an art supply kit available for purchase, click here This kit contains very basic supplies and is not a required purchase.
About the Art Therapist
Heather Caruso is the group facilitator, an artist, art therapist and part of the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario. For more information, click below:
Art therapy for anxiety group
This group supports people experiencing stress and anxiety using art therapy. It will focus on using creative artmaking to support your lived experiences and provide tools for positivity, empowerment, self-reflection and grounding. It will be a fun and supportive atmosphere to share and make art.
This group doesn't have a stop and start and it runs two Saturdays per month from 10 am until noon. The next dates open are:
- Aug 14
- Aug 28
- Sept 11
- Sept 25
The fee for four group sessions is $240.00.
Embracing your wise mother crone archetype through art therapy group
This group runs for four weeks in a row on Fridays, from 10 am until noon. The next available start date is August 13th, 2021.
This group is for women over 45 years old who want to:
- Deeply explore their feminine psyche through art therapy.
- Embrace their wise woman and crone archetype.
- Tap into divine feminine wisdom.
- Cultivate an authentic life that reflects their personal values.
- Want to move forward in a wholehearted way.
- Improve mental health during menopause with art therapy.
- Want to be part of a supportive group of women who create soulful artworks each week.
- Are not afraid of using art to delve deeper into their psyche.
Details of the four weeks:
- Week one, tapping into your sacred feminine and collective feminine wisdom through art therapy.
- Week two, reflect on your lived experiences and what built your unique soulful person and values. Using art-making to express your wise foundation.
- Week three, gaining strength by leaning into your personal power and authenticity. Exploration of your unique wise mother using art.
- Week four, cultivating a life that embraces your wise mother archetype and speaks to your truth. Using art, we tap into unique ways to live a wholehearted life that reflects your core values, innate worth and feminine power.
Post crone archetype group
This group is for people who have experienced the four-week crone archetype group, and want to carry on with their fellow wise women doing art therapy. This group focuses more on exploring healing and empowerment. These sessions run twice per month.
Opportunities for art therapy groups
Art Therapy Guelph offers a few opportunities for certain groups to support the mental health of their employees or members in a variety of communities. It can support one's mental and emotional well-being through art therapy. For example, we have worked with people who have disabilities, cancer diagnosis, nightmares, collective covid anxiety and so on.
Reach out today
If you are thinking of becoming an Art Therapy Guelph group participant, contact me, see below.